August 17, 2014
All eyes have been on Ferguson Missouri after a policeman murdered Mike Brown, a young man with his hands in the air. Police brutally clamp down on protesters, reenacting some of the worst scenes of racialized violence from American history. Here is some of the best coverage of this on-going crisis:
- An open letter from a mother to her daughter on the futility of parenting in these times.
- On how the Ferguson police were armed with military hand-me-downs
- On how the murder of Mike Brown is a reproductive rights issue.
- J Cole mourns in song.
- And from another war zone, Mohammed Suliman’s tweets weave a chilling narrative of heart-break and terror in Gaza. which is a kind of perfect anecdote to the bomb-shelter propaganda that Belén Fernández mentions here.
- In Toronto, the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty is calling out the City of Toronto staff for skirting their commitment to establish 24 hour Women’s drop-in centers.
- In Halifax, anti-abortion protesters meet resistance from lots of smart and amazing folks.
- “The mining industry in Canada is a key example of Canada’s colonial and capitalist foundations.” Harsha Walia, one of Canada preeminent radical thinkers on why Mining is Disaster.
- Bell Canada cancels its massive unpaid internship program. Hey y’all remember when Cynthia Spring wrote this about that?
- And for a slightly lighter fare, check out these bumping summer mixes from Bitch and also, an interview with our heartthrob Courtney Barnett.
Have we missed anything? Share more links in the comments!