June 14, 2015
By Ella B
- “Cindy Gladue was a Nehiyaw Iskwew (Cree woman), like me. She had dropped out of high school, like me. She had worked in the sex trade, on the streets, like me. She had experienced a lot of violence and trauma in her life, like me.” This beautiful and harrowing piece looks at the Gladue case with intimacy and honesty. Heart wrenching and enraging.
- #distractinglysexy was a very fun thing that happened on the internet this week. Women scientists mock the sexist remarks of Sir Tim Hunt about the need for single-sex laboratories.
- Halifax firefighter Liane Tessier speaks out about the gender discrimination she’s faced – something that happens often in blue collar work but is rarely spoken about.
- With summer comes people in the streets. For racialized and poor neighbourhoods, that means more police harassment. Something to consider, especially with the Pan Am games and World Cup events taking place in T.O. and Ottawa.
- Again, fuck the police, we demand justice for Indigenous women now!
- Blooming sub-genre: Transgender children’s books
- This woman makes a good argument for why she should and could have Margaret Wente’s job.
- The strolling series!!!! A short documentary film series created by Cecile Emeke: “we take a stroll with people in various cities and countries around the world, having refreshingly raw and honest conversations about various issues at the forefront of their society. We touch on everything from feminism, sexuality, gender, race and politics to philosophy, art, history, capitalism, war and poverty…and everything else you can think of.”
- Former LGBTQ civil servants who were fired or interrogated by the RCMP government are demanding an apology from the Canadian government.
- Some smart thoughts on the new “rape resistance program” at three canadian universities.
- Canadian Authors make it in (The) New York(er).
- On gardening, fish gutting, and more
- Maybe you’re all sick of feminist analyses of Mad Max but…